BYLAWS OF THE GEORGIA TECH SILVER JACKETS
effective January 1, 2016
The name of the organization is the Georgia Tech Silver Jackets.
The Silver Jackets is the Georgia Tech retiree organization designed to promote social and intellectual contacts among its members, the Georgia Tech community and the community at large.
The organization facilitates information sharing, participation and advocacy on issues of interest to its membership—such as retirement and health benefits, campus activities, learning and service opportunities.
III. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
All Georgia Tech faculty and staff retirees, their spouses and partners are eligible. Former members of the faculty and staff are also eligible.
There shall be the following elected officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer, and a carryover officer: Immediate Past President. In addition, there shall be at least two appointed positions: Membership Chair and Social Event Chair. Each of those mentioned herein may appoint a committee to assist them.
1. President. The responsibilities of the President are as follows:
- Preside at meetings of the membership and Executive Council;
- Prepare an agenda for meetings;
- Act as official spokesperson for the organization;
- Authorize all orders on Silver Jackets’ funds;
- Appoint the Membership Chair and the Social Event Chair;
- Appoint the nominating committee (to be chaired by the Immediate Past President) and other ad hoc committees as needed;
- Be an ex officio member of any committees;
- In conjunction with the Treasurer, propose an annual budget at the beginning of the fiscal year, which runs from January through December.
2. Vice-President. The responsibilities of the Vice-President are as follows:
- Perform the duties of the President in the event of absence, resignation or inability to serve;
- Arrange programs for membership meetings;
- Schedule rooms for membership meetings;
- Send out program announcements to membership, along with minutes of the previous meeting provided by Secretary.
3. Secretary. The responsibilities of the Secretary are as follows:
- Record the minutes of all meetings of the Executive Council and membership;
- Maintain the records of the organization, including minutes, the list of past program speakers and their presentation titles, and the list of past officers;
- With the help of technical support as needed, post records to Silver Jackets website;
- Convey records to the Georgia Tech archives from time to time.
4. Treasurer.The responsibilities of the Treasurer are as follows:
- Maintain financial records;
- Manage income and expenditures;
- In conjunction with the president, propose an annual budget at the beginning of the fiscal year;
- Make an annual financial report to the membership;
- Receive all monies and make disbursements; the Treasurer shall issue checks or order payment only upon authorization by the President.
5. Immediate Past President. The responsibilities of the Immediate Past President are as follows:
- Provide advice and institutional memory;
- Serve on the Executive Council;
- At the request of the President, serve as Chair of the Nominating Committee.
6. Membership Chair. The responsibilities of the Membership Chair are as follows:
- Coordinate with Human Resource to ensure new retirees are made aware of the Silver Jackets;
- With the help of technical support as needed, maintain a membership roster, including contact information;
- Welcome first-time attendees at Silver Jackets meetings.
7. Social Event Chair. The responsibilities of the Social Chair are as follows:
- Organize Holiday Luncheon: select venue and menu, plan event activities, and handle registration and payment;
- Facilitate other events that may from time to time arise.
C. Executive Council
The Executive Council shall consist of the elected officers and the Immediate Past President.
Duties of the Executive Committee are as follows:
- Transact business which does not require action by the membership;
- Appoint replacements for unexpired terms of officers;
- Present a plan for the year at the first meeting of the fiscal year;
- Provide coordination of the activities of the organization.
IV. MEETINGS, ELECTIONS AND QUORUMS
A. Membership meetings shall be held during the academic year (September through May) year. With the exception of the Holiday Luncheon in December, meetings will be held on the second Tuesday of the month. Other dates may be designated when appropriate.
B. The Membership shall elect the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer for terms of one year.
C. A quorum of the membership shall be 25 members. A quorum of the Executive Council shall be three.
D. Election of officers shall be held annually at the October meeting. Nominations will be taken from the floor provided that the nominee has agreed to serve. The new officers will assume their responsibilities effective January 1st.
V. REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
Officers may be removed by a two thirds (2/3) vote of those present and voting at a membership meeting. Notice of the proposed action, with the reasons therefore, must be given at least four (4) weeks prior to the meeting at which such action is to be considered.
A. The organization may accept contributions from any source, as approved by the Executive Council. A written report regarding the amount, circumstances, and disposition of same shall be furnished to the Executive Council by the Treasurer. Any funds contributed to the organization for a specific purpose shall be used solely for that purpose. Treasurer shall maintain a separate written record of each fund.
B. Annual dues may be established by the Executive Council.
C. The Executive Council may authorize accounts with the Georgia Tech Foundation.
D. The Executive Council may authorize the opening of bank accounts for the funds of the organization.
VII. ADOPTION OF BY-LAWS
The By-Laws shall be adopted at a meeting of the membership by majority vote of those present and voting.
VIII. AMENDMENTS TO THE BY-LAWS
Amendments shall be adopted at a meeting of the membership by majority vote of those present and voting. Notice of proposed amendments must be given at least four (4) weeks prior to the meeting at which such action is to be taken.
This updated version of the Silver Jackets Bylaws was introduced at the Silver Jackets Meeting of October 13, 2015 and unanimously approved at the Silver Jackets Meeting of November 10, 2015.